Spring Break, Summer, Christmas time … this is a lesson that can be done anytime and learned from over time.
Matthew 13 The Parable of the Sower
1That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. 3Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9He who has ears, let him hear.”
What you will need:
- Two cups (paper/Styrofoam or plastic) or pots if you have them
- A tray (can be a cardboard box lid, a storage lid, or even a trash can lid – anything you can spare)
- Small rocks, twigs/briars, potting soil
- Flower or vegetable seeds
What you will do:
- Poke tiny holes in bottom of cups for drainage
- Mark box or lid with cross or “Y” to make three areas
- Area #1 sprinkle some seeds
- Area #2 place a few rocks, a little dirt some twigs/thorns/briars and a few seeds in a cup
- Area #3 fill 1/2 with soil and a few seed
- Water #2 and #3
- Set outside in a settled area where the lesson will not be blown away but it will still receive sun
Over time #1’s seeds should blow away or be eaten; #2 and #3 should sprout but #2 should wither and die while #3 thrives.
What you will teach your child:
- Going through life carefree without concern and no substance for growing in the Lord will destroy them (salvation, prayer, reading the Bible, fellowship)
- Going through life attending S.S., church, Christian camps but never having a personal relationship with Christ will also destroy them
- Going through life with proper nutrients, water, and sun will give them Life everlasting through His Holy Word the Bible (nutrients), Salvation/Baptism (water) and Son Jesus Christ (sun)
As the process grows, you can talk with them daily as they observe the changes, how changes in their life come when they walk close with the Lord.