- Break Out Your Family Holiday Platters …. It’s TURKEY TIME!
Whether you have an antique turkey platter or a heavy duty plastic goblet, holidays are special times of gathering with family and friends. You may use special decor, table setting, and recipes. Or, maybe you want to start your own. Our family Thanksgiving starts with the turkey. I have included how I prepare along with many of the sides my family like to have. There are so many it is hard for one person to prepare. So that is where all the fun comes in with family and friends bringing their own sides, desserts and even other meats. Enjoy Thanksgiving. We can all take time to be thankful.
TURKEY: Most Turkeys come with instructions these days. I love a good Butterball.
- One 10-12 lb.* Turkey
- 3 Tbsp. butter (yes I use butter on my butterball – you can not have enough)
- 1/2 chopped onion (use other 1/2 with more onion for dressing)
- 1 Sliced apple
- Celery Salt
- 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery chopped; cleaned and stripped (use a peeler to remove rib fibers)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 Tbsp. Poultry Seasoning
- Turkey Stock
- 1 boiled egg chopped
- Giblets (cooked earlier in a pot and cubed – use gizzard and liver and neck meat pulled from bone – give the heart to dog or cat :-D)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup Turkey Stock (if your turkey does not make enough stock, you can use a can of chicken soup or purchased turkey stock)
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch salt
SWEET POTATO PECAN CRUMBLE CASSEROLEINGREDIENTS: (SERVINGS 6-8) SWEET POTATO MIXTURE 6 medium or 4 large potatoes (med is woman’s hand, large is man’s hand) (Rub olive oil over sweet potatoes – you can also spray with PAM Olive Oil place on parchment or waxed paper on a baking sheet. 400 degrees – 1 hr (30 mins then turn and 30 mins more). You can do these the night before. Cool and “jackets” will fall off easily. Trim off ends. The casserole can be made ahead. Keep covered in fridge ready to bake.
- 3 cups mashed (or creamed depending on consistency you want) sweet potatoes NOTE: if you use canned to save time, just drain
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1/4 Cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
- 1/2 butter (melted)
Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Cover the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture. You are ready for the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.SQUASH: (double recipe for larger crowds)
Six summer squash, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 6-10 Ritz crackers (add 2-3 at a time for desired consistency)
- 1 medium pot
- Place squash, onions, water and salt in pan
- Bring to boil and cup back, cook until squash is tender (use fork to push against side of pot, it should mash easily) Keep eye on to make sure does not scorch
- Add butter and beaten egg
- Add Ritz crackers
- Mash with potato masher or fork
- Keep warm until ready to serve
GREEN BEANS /or CASSEROLE:
- 1-3 lb. green beans (l lb serves 3-4), strung and snapped (Or, most groceries have them in freezer section if they are not available fresh. Look for ones that just have one item: beans. They are flash frozen just like we did way back when c.)rops were only available locally during harvest. We canned or we flash froze
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1 strip bacon (optional), or 1/2c ham cubes or 1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
Preparation: Place all ingredients in 3-4 quart pot and bring to boil. Reduce to stove top Medium heat and cook 20 minutes to the pound or desired tendernessFOR Casserole: If you do not have French cut beans, then before cooking beans, Julianne slice beans (long ways) before cutting them in sections. Cook as above, add one can cream of mushroom soup (do not add the can of water), stir and top with French’s Onion Rings Topping. If you do not have the pre-made. You can fry up some onion rings in a pan.
- Slice an onion, separate rings (removing thin skin between layers).
- Dip in a mixture of 1 part flour, 1 part milk/buttermilk, and 1 egg.
- Drop in oil, turn when they ‘float’ so they are golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towel. When drained and cooled, crumble or chop.
Place on top of bean mixture. Bake at 325 degrees (163 Celsius) for 30 minutes.SWEET GEORGIA ICE TEA a la Renee’ Yield One (1) Gallon
- 5 regular tea bags (I make one of them Mango/Green Tea, Cranberry Apple, or Orange Spice)
- Fill tea kettle full of water and bring to boil. Set aside and place tea bags in the water.
- To bring out flavor and color, add a pinch of baking soda.
- Let sit for as long as you can (no less than 30 mins).
- Pour in gallon container, add 1-1/2 cups sugar and extra cold water to make one gallon. Stir well.
- 2 Family size Jello box mixes
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- dash salt (that means – 0.13 teaspoons – VERY little)
- maraschino cherries halved (optional)
- MIX Jello per box instructions.
- In a blender cream in cream cheese.
- Hand blend in celery, pineapple, pecans and salt.
- Prepare mold by wiping a little mayonnaise in it so it will release easily.
- Pour in mold and refrigerate until it sets.
- Turn out on plate lined with iceberg lettuce.
- 2 pkg Cherry jello
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup pineapple juice (from drained can of pineapple)
- 2 cup ground cranberries (or whole berry cranberry sauce)
- 1 orange (peeled, separated and cut in to 2-3 pieces each slice)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teas. salt
- 1 cup nuts chopped
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- Add hot water to jello, dissolve well.
- Add pineapple juice.
- Let sit in fridge to ‘set’
- Mix the cranberries and orange in another bowl.
- Add the sugar.
- When sugar is ‘melted’ in mixture, add celery, pineapple and nuts.
- Remove jello from fridge
- Fold in fruit mixture.
- Wipe mold with mayonnaise to make it easier to turn out.
- Fill mold and place in fridge for at least two (2) hours.
- Turn out on an iceberg lettuce lined plate.