INGREDIENTS FOR CRUST, PIE and GARNISH:
- 1-1/4 c. Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 c. ground pistachio (reserve a teaspoon for meringue)
- 3 egg yolks
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (do not substitute evaporated or regular milk)
- 1/2 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)Meringue:
- 3-4 egg whites (4 if you fold one into lime mixture for less dense pie)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of tarter
- 1/3 c. Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Lime zest
- 1 teaspoon pistachio bits
- 3-6 tiny julienne slices of lime peel (scrape pulp off back with paring knife); tape around pencil to dry in curl
Preheat Oven 350 degrees.
CRUST: mix 1-1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup crushed/ground pistachios (reserve 1/2 teaspoon for garnish) and 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix well and press into ungreased pie plate.
FILLING: In a medium bowl beat 3 egg yolks, can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup of lime juice (Key limes, if you can find. I used Persian limes. You can also use concentrate). Resist the urge to add green food due. Real lime pies are not green. Pour lime mixture into pie crust. If you want a less dense pie, beat in one egg white too.
Meringue: In a another bowl beat the egg whites of your three eggs until stiff (makes peaks ). I actually add a fourth egg white. I like lots of meringue. Add a 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tarter, 1/3 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. Beat until thoroughly mixed and stiff. Spread atop pie making sure you seal to edges. Bake at 350° 12-15 minutes or until slightly brown.
Garnish with lime zest, pistachio bits/dust and tiny julienne lime peel slivers/curls (you can scrape back of lime slivers with paring knife and roll around a pencil and tape to dry). Let cool so meringue will not sweat.
Refrigerate until time to serve.
YIELD: 6-8 slices